Legal Services are required to provide professional legal advice and assistance service to the municipality so that the municipality’s interests are protected at all times and the authority complies with legislation and principles.
Aims and Objectives:
- Provision of legal advice and assistance to Council and administration to ensure proper protection of the municipality’s interests and compliance with legal obligations and responsibilities.
- Provision of inputs and recommendations on Council reports, contracts and agreements.
- Assistance with the drafting and promulgation of new and amended by-laws so that by-laws, at all times, regulates activities and areas that needs oversight.
- Support and guide the by-law revision process.
- Establish, implement, update and circulate a Municipal Code of all by-laws to ensure proper recording off and access to by-laws.
- Coordinate litigation for criminal and civil cases involving municipal councilors and officials in their official capacities so that municipal interests are at all times protected.
Update and revise the policy for delegation, roles and responsibilities annually.